If you want to be successful at Door to Door Sales, it takes practice and commitment. Most Door to Door Businesses work on a self-employment basis, which means if you don’t work you don’t get paid. It’s up to you to write your own paycheque. Here are eight good working habits to help you stay on track.
1. HAVE A GREAT ATTITUDE: It is vital to have a positive attitude when knocking on doors. The key to your success, is making people like you. If you’re not in a positive mood who’s going to like you? Have you ever met a person with a bad attitude that you liked the first time you met them? I didn’t think so!
2. BE ON TIME: There is no good reason for being late for anything! Time is money, and it’s your money we’re talking about. If you say you are going to be somewhere at a certain time, make sure you are there. If you employed someone who was never on time it would piss you off, and you might even fire them. So you owe it to yourself to be on time!
3. BE PREPARED: Make sure you have everything you need before you start work. That includes extra pens and paper, good walking shoes, an umbrella if needed, and warm clothing. Most importantly, your Picture Identification Card. You also want to insure you have enough sales material and products, you can never sell too much!
4. WORK YOUR TERRITORY CORRECTLY: There is no point in jumping sporadically from street to street, or missing doors. You have to systematically cover your territory so you talk to everyone. That’s the only way to get the law of averages working for you. For more information on Territory go to the ‘Territory’ section in the School of Hard Knocks.
5. WORK A FULL 8 HOURS: If you really want to maximise your earning potential you owe it to yourself to put in a full days work. The best hours to work are: 10:00am to 6:00pm. There is not much point working only in the evening, you miss too many people and spend too much time talking to people who don’t qualify. Just working in the evening can burn out territory.
6. MAINTAIN YOUR ATTITUDE: There are a lot of negative people out there who will deliberately try to ruin your attitude. Most of them are jealous, but for some of them it’s a challenge to see if they can break your spirit. It’ a stupid little game but it’s easy to win. Some one will put you down, or insult you, but all they are trying to do is make you lose your attitude. Never take it personally! When you get to a door and find someone in a bad mood, that person will try to pass it on to you. If they put you in a bad mood, they have won, and they will walk away happier than you! If you flash them a great big smile and say: “Sorry to bother you, have a nice day, goodbye.” You have won, because you maintained your attitude and didn’t let them break your spirit. You walk away happier than them knowing you won and they lost.
7. KNOW WHY YOU ARE HERE AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING: You must know everything there is to know about your Product. Before you start selling, make a list of all the possible questions your customer will ask you. You should also make a list of all the possible objections you may get. A good salesman has an answer for every question, so think hard and be creative. The more answers you have the easier it is to close a sale.
KNOW YOUR GOALS IN THE BUSINESS. Selling is important but learning and advancing yourself in the business is even more important.
8. TAKE CONTROL: This is something you do passively, you don’t have to be aggressive or pushy, that won’t get you the sale. Remember: ‘You can’t push a piece of string across a room, you can only pull it!’ You can’t make someone Buy something. You can however convince someone that they want to Buy something. For more information on pitching go to the ‘Building a Sales Pitch’ section in The School of Hard Knocks.
Take control of your customers, your situation and eventually take control of your own FUTURE.